Saturday, December 7, 2013

Waiheke

(Written 04/12, 23.59)

After having a little explore around Auckland I realised that it is a nice city, but travelling New Zealand is not about chilling in Auckland! On my first full day in New Zealand I hopped on a ferry to Waiheke - the most popular island of the Hauraki Gulf. Similar to the sail around the Whitsunday islands, there were some very nice views of untainted islands along the way, but the water was a bright teal colour and the islands were even more green. Then Waiheke lived up to its popularity! Lush green rolling hills, beautiful beaches, an abundance of wineries and a fair few interesting hike trails. I have always wanted to try wine-tasting, but I didn't expect it to happen on an island in New Zealand! From a distance wine-tasting does seem like pure pretence but, as with paying attention to and learning about most things in the universe, it was interesting! I genuinely tasted "toast and butter" in the Chardonnay! Unrelated, I lost my way along the trails on more than a few occasions, and certainly overhiked that day! The spectacular sunset behind the Auckland skyline during the return ferry journey rounded off a nice start to the New Zealand travels. 

Cool story bro.

No comments:

Post a Comment