Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Hyperabad/Flight (Hyd-Kochin)

Monday and Tuesday were so packed out I didn't even have the time to drop a few words on my phone! On Monday I had my first experience of target shooting (pistol and rifle), and also my first (and most likely last ever) experience of shooting big bore at a 300m target. The 300m precision gun had full range of 1200m, and was similar to a sniper rifle. The feeling of that power at effectively the click of a button was crazy! Apparently I was some sort of natural, as the coach started asking who I was! Hmm... Saw lots of military facilities, some drills and began to understand the pride of representing a nation in the army. Again these were brought to life with an array of intense stories.  

I also saw Apu Di's school, which was really impressive both in aesthetics and attitudes (from what I could gauge). Very colourful and positive feel, quite different to any school I have seen in UK. We watched The Lunch Box in the evening and to add to my previous encounter of an Indian cinema, there was a man next to me asleep throughout the whole film with his bare feet on the seat in front! 

On Tuesday, I saw the hugely contrasting old city and new city ("High-tech city"). Charminar and the Nizam Palace gave me some insight into the historical significance of Hyderabad. 

This chapter of the trip was also class*: first real insight into the military world, first impression of Hyderabad, some once-in-a-lifetime activities, and thoroughly well looked after by a very interesting and affectionate family.

Onboard IndiGo 6E-317 now, aisle seat, front row. LG.

I am excited in anticipation of this tour of South India. There has been great hype about "God's own country" (Kerala) so let's see how this goes.

*On reading back through I realise this is a pun because of how much I learnt in Hyderabad. Hah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment