Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Ayers Rock Landing

(Written 02/01, 12.27pm)

I just got off the plane from Sydney to Ayers Rock, and the heat gave me a good smack in the face! Now this generally happens in a hot country, but from freezing my ass off in the air-conditioned plane to 42℃? Like plunge pool to jacuzzi, that felt good! I caught brief glimpses of red-orange sand from the aeroplane. Different to anything I've seen before, I think this is going to be fun (also). 

(Written 02/01, 21.35)

Stargazing again, and they are out in full force! Unlike the cold of the Mount Oberon and Mount John stargazing sessions, the night temperature here is perfect for this. Besides the distant hum of music from the hostel bar and the blowing of the warm breeze, it feels like stillness and silence reign for many miles surrounding this bench where I lay. Earlier this same spot gave a beautiful panoramic of Ayers Rock, the sunset, fluorescent clouds, and the red desert. Apparently the red is the rusted iron that remains from the sea that covered this land many years ago. I bumped into a girl from Melbourne who is on the back of a ten-day meditation retreat, and she is definitely one with nature - talking about how trees are calling her and how this land is an energy hotspot. It has been interesting hearing her life philosophy, and how it largely overlaps with my new-found and increasingly solidifying outlook. But I am still battling her with da Physics! 

The heat of the day was intense, but I like it! It adds to the experience of the desert and actually does make it feel like more of a sacred place, as the indigenous people believe. My mind's debate continues as to whether I should climb the rock or not - apparently the people of the land prefer tourists not to so maybe I should respect that. Let's see what unfolds in the next few days. This is The Outback for real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment