Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Torch Gazing on Mount John

(Written 21/12, 00.30)

When I wrote my last post sitting on Lake Tekapo I did not imagine that one of my favourite parts of the trip was around the corner! We decided to spend a night at Tekapo to stargaze on Mount John (the site of one of the world's best observatories), but it was a seriously fun evening despite the clouds impeding our view of the stars! 

Chief Bash and I were about to set off to Mount John when we picked up a Korean girl to add to the party. The walk to Mt John was longer than expected, and the walk up Mt John was way longer and steeper than expected! The Chief was not happy, but I was loving it. I did not expect the view from the summit to rival the unbelievable ones we had previously seen in NZ, but it did! At the top we met a guy (pretending he was a soldier in a war!) who had been hiking for several months. He had some crazy stories to entertain us from sunset to twilight, such as being stuck in a swamp for two days! We had it easy! 

The stars were not too impressive, but chilling on top of a the mountain was the perfect final night in NZ. That being said, we hadn't quite thought through descending the mountain in the pitch black of the night! Luckily between the hiker and myself we had four torches, and climbing down the mountain by torchlight was a great adventure! We did not hols back our imagination on all the different scary movies that this situation could turn in to! One of these included the elusive NZ possum that we found ourselves facing off against! 

This adventure was one of my favourite parts of New Zealand!  

Bhavesh: "One of the worst bits of my trip!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment