Thursday, January 23, 2014

Over and Out

The final day has arrived and it feels how I expected it to feel. It has been quite an unbelievable journey over the three months (four including India), and will be unrecognisable to life in England, which is good to really appreciate it. To be good things must come to an end otherwise they would not have been a good thing. ("Death is the best invention in life" - Steve Jobs.) And they say "time flies when you're having fun", but this journey felt nice an epic both in duration and stature. I don't think time can really run away from you if you focus on this moment, since at any time it is only this moment that exists. The world may run dynamically through this moment, but the concept of this moment can be seen as static. I have found time goes slower that way. And I like it. 

That being said, this morning I listened to a couple of songs that have recurred during the trip and I began the reminiscing! I am very grateful to circumstance that I got the opportunity to experience what I have experienced. Over the last few days a couple of people at the hostel asked me what the highlights of my trip were, and without thinking much I came up with Tongariro Crossing (trying not to fall in a live volcano), Ayers Rock (trying not to pass out from dehydration), the night dive at The Great Barrier Reef (seeing sharks by torchlight), and The Full Moon Party (surviving that second bucket). Danger is the theme here! 

Through my experiences, sightseeing and learnings in the last four months, I think I have attained what I wanted to achieve on this trip. A couple of days ago I was able to sit and do nothing for two-and-a-half hours waiting for a train, entirely calm and happy. Now this is on the back of a hectic few months and I am yet to prove it to myself in 'normal' conditions, but it does exhibit some of what I believe I have learnt during my trip: depend on nothing material for contentedness. This may make no sense without explanation, and probably will still make no sense even then. 

Staying largely in the hostel for these two days in Bangkok has highlighted the traveller community and the hostelling element that I really liked throughout my trip. "The traveller" is a different people to those in the real world: he/she is relaxed, very friendly, adventurous, and goes with the flow whatever it may be. That is generalising a little too far, but I was a big fan of such people that did make up a large proportion of the people I met. It has opened my eyes to a new world of people!

It has been fun. (I wonder if I will now continue to narrate my life?) Thanks for tuning in. Goodnight and Godspeed. 

xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment