Monday, January 20, 2014

Diving Koh Tao

(Written 18/01, 18.10)

After a nasty ferry ride over, on which many people chundered everywhere, I arrived at Koh Samui to Ban's Diving Resort. It is like a little village of divers, and it seems this part of the island (Sairee beach) is just full of dive centres! I actually felt quite strange here at first having been in a very personal and homely guesthouse in Koh Samui where I knew everyone to being the loner! 

I had my two dives this morning, and I can see why Koh Tao is such a popular diving area! The first dive (where we hoped to see a whale shark!) was not so spectacular, but the second one rivalled the Great Barrier Reef. With vast numbers of big and colourful fish, and seemingly fluorescent coral, it was quite the underwater habitat! 

(Written 20/01, 13.06)

I have really enjoyed my stay on Koh Tao. The whole place is just full of dive schools, and bars and cafes on the beach. In the dorm I met three cool Aussies, a Canadian and a Swede to form something of a crew for these last couple of days - pretty entertaining bunch! I went for probably my final hike of the three month trip to find a mountain-top viewpoint at the southernmost point of the island. The walk was pretty dirty down the main road until I reached the mountain when it suddenly became challenging, but highly picturesque. However, I think my main of Koh Tao will be sitting on beanbags on the beach, sipping a Chang beer and being entertained by people playing with fire (once more)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment