Sunday, November 17, 2013

Cairns and Diving

(Written Saturday 16th Nov. 16.52)

I am sitting at the Esplanade lagoon in Cairns as I write this, and it is up there with the best places to chill. There is a huge outdoor swimming pool, a live band playing in the distance and people just doing their thing under the blazing sun. It feels a lot like California (but less fake) from what I remember and expect based on tv shows. The Esplanade street at night lights up and has cool restaurants and shops. 

Yesterday I had my final three dives for qualification and I did one snorkel swim. Again Fish Bowl on Brigg's Reef delivered with two sharks chilling out under the boat and a MASSIVE Moray eel that seemed like it should only exist in a story. It was like seeing a Gyarados! The final site, the Coral Garden lived up to its name. The colours were much more vibrant since the coral was quite near the surface. The variety of textures and the way the coral moves with the waves makes for a very pretty picture. 

Last night I had dinner and a couple of drinks with my tour group and I am slightly apprehensive about the tour now! I guess I have to make it what I want. Outside of the group I met up with some strange and interesting people from Vancouver, and we ended up going to this lively hostel club called Gilligan's. Before going out, we drank somethig called Goon (Aussie boxed wine that tasted like grape juice) while sitting in a tree - the authentic experience I guess! 

1 comment:

  1. The huge outdoor swimming pool being the not-so-deep blue sea?

    Also, slightly delayed but, "Oompah Kuala Lumpur" and "Singa rich"! Given the man the deserved applause everyone.

    ReplyDelete