Monday, November 11, 2013

On Wheels in Pulau Ubin

(Written Monday 11th Nov. 18.00)

I am on the bus back after an unbelievable day on Pulau Ubin (a Singaporean island just off its east coast). I spent the whole day with the cast of Starlight Express! I got to the Changi Village jetty and heard British accents, so I thought I would follow them for the procedure to get to the island and hiring bikes - I didn't realise they were the touring cast of a famous musical from my childhood! 

Given the rain over the last few days and its remote nature, I had been slightly apprehensive about visiting the island and mountain-biking around it. This set up for an important day to find and join people. The island was effectively a rainforest with some very picturesque openings and a few obscure feats of nature, particularly a "land-fish with arms"! The biking itself added another dynamic to the exploration, and the cast members were very cool and friendly people. Mountain-biking with the Starlight Express cast through a rainforest island - this was one special day indeed!

(Written later)

I am now back at Shoban's flat, and it seems surreal that the mall-after-mall comprised Singapore is just forty minutes from a serious rainforest! We have been playing a little one-hand one-bounce cricket in the block court to build up an appetite for dinner! That it has done, that it has done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment